Monday, 18 February 2008

In the beginning, there was nothing, and nothing was everything...

Hello there! Now you've probably scrolled all the way to the bottom of my blog for a reason, and that reason is to find out how the whole Disney thing started! At the risk of tempting fate, I have started a Disney blog to document my summer and to be used as a method of communication to all my friends and family so they know what I'm up to :-) Obviously at this stage I am not letting anybody have this website address, just incase I don't actually get the job, but if I do then the whole world will know about this little diary of mine! (Oh the wonders of the Internet!)

Anyway, I currently have another blog which I have to do for a unit at Uni and I posted a long essay of an entry on there about the beginnings of this journey so I have copied and pasted it below (written on 16th February 2008):

It has happened. I’ve FINALLY heard back from Yummy Jobs about the whole Disney thing! Well, on January 28th I had my phone interview! There was a bit of a kerfuffle because they called me on the 27th and I missed the call as I was in a lecture so I only got the voicemail. However, the lady who left the voicemail had a really hard to understand voice and I didn’t quite get the phone number she quoted. Plus it was after 5pm so I thought I had better leave it until the following day.

So, bright and early on the 28th, just before my seminar, I called Yummy on their general number and explained I had been left this message. I talked to a guy (I think his name was Matt…?) and he asked me if I was free for a few minutes to chat. So after saying I was, I had my phone interview there and then!! It was quite informal, he just asked me what I was doing at Uni and why I wanted to spend the summer at Disney rather than anywhere else. He also asked me how I would cope with the heat and humidity (thank God I’ve been there twice before in August….at least I am slightly prepared!) and what I would do if a guest came up to me and didn’t like their food. Generally I thought the interview had gone ok, he asked me if I had any questions and having spent the last 7 weeks waiting endlessly I asked him how long it would be until I knew if I had a face to face interview, he told me it would be about 2-3 weeks. (He also said I had “done well” - yay!) So, buzzing with the adrenaline of this sudden interview I scampered off to my seminar.

The next day my phone rang with a London number. I wondered if it was Yummy and it turned out it was. This time it was an American girl who asked me if I had a few minutes to chat. So I said I did, and then I sat through being asked exactly the same questions as I had been asked the day before. I thought it would be rude to interrupt her and tell her that I had already been interviewed, so I answered the questions (slightly more confidently I have to say, having been through the interview once already!!) and when she asked me if I had anything to ask her I just informed her of the situation where I had rang them the day before and already been interviewed etc. It was a bit of a funny moment because I think she was slightly embaressed, but I felt it was better that way than to have seemed rude.

So… more waiting. A week goes by. And another week. And then I get up on Valentine’s Day with not much to do for the day but I had this funny feeling I would get an email from Yummy. So much so that I opened my Yahoo! Mail and kept refreshing it every 30 minutes or so. And at 10:54am I got the email inviting me to an interview day in London on February 26th!! YAAAAY!!! So at 10:59am after I had let off a few internal screams, I emailed back saying I would definately be attending.

I have to be in London for 8.30am. 8.30!!! That means leaving Bournemouth mighty early. I decided to get the train which leaves Bourney at 6am and gets into Waterloo at 7.45am. This is obviously the commuter train (reflected in the price… £24 including my Young Persons Railcard discount! For a single! Bloody national rail….) and even though my interview is being held just around the corner from the station I decided to get there in plenty of time because everybody knows how crap the railways in this country are… especially for being on time. Or lack of. So, a week on Tuesday, I will be milling around South Bank for 45 minutes in a bit of a nervous state… spare a thought for me guys! I have been reading up today on all sorts of things about the interview, and the experience… been reading a few blogs and stuff.

Oh, and I have one more hurdle before the interview. And that is to go and see Lizzie… persuade her to sign my forms (which involves stating that my end of Summer term is sometime in early June…. :S) and also to apologize for missing my seminar next Tuesday for the interview. Unfortunately it is the seminar in which we are pitching ideas for our last assessed project (which is a big ‘un, 2 day shoot etc etc) soooo I have figured I have to do loads of preparation this weekend so I have lots to talk to the group about regarding the non-assessed (we’re filming on Thursday and I’m directing… eek!), the assessed project and also the studio day in a couple of weeks in which we are going to be doing Ready, Steady, Cook! Yay. My plan is that if Lizzie can see I am being organised and thinking ahead… planning and working hard then she will be happier to sign my forms knowing I will be concentrating on the course rather than thinking about a certain mouse.


No comments: